Students in all fields of study are eligible for the Research Scholars Certificate. In order to earn the certificate, students are required to:
Get recognized for your research
To meet this requirement, you will need to submit a 1-page reflection for each presentation you attend.
- By research presentations, we mean events in which scholars (faculty or graduate students from other universities or IU) formally present their research or creative work in a public setting. If you aren't sure if an event would count, please contact IUUR at email@example.com.
- There are research and creative presentations happening all the time on campus. Look for flyers around your department and campus, pay attention to your email, and ask your instructors.
- We encourage students to begin attending research talks early in their time at IU, preferably during their freshmen years.
To meet this requirement, you will need to submit evidence for each presentation/performance, such as a conference program or a .pdf of your poster/slides.
- There are many opportunities to present as an undergraduate. At least one of your presentations should be sponsored by an organization other than IU, ideally at a conference in your discipline.
- We encouage advanced undergradutes to attend conferences in their disciplines, especially those considering graduate school.
To meet this requirement, you will need to submit:
- a letter of support from your mentor attesting to your original contribution and
- either your contribution itself (for example, if it was a research paper) or an artifact from your creative project (for example, a flyer or photograph from a performance).
There are many ways to complete this requirement, including participating in an established research program, completing an honors thesis, or working direclty with a mentor to carry out an independent project.
To meet this requirement, you will need to submit a 750-1,000 word reflection essay describing your research/creative experiences at IU and how they connect to your plans for after IU.
- This should be completed after you have fulfilled the first three criteria.