IU Undergraduate Research provides Advanced Summer Research Scholarships to help undergraduate researchers spend their summers undertaking original research or creative projects.
Students in any field are eligible to apply, but must meet the following requirements:
- All applicants must have a well developed research plan and a faculty mentor who has agreed to supervise the project.
- Applicants must not be receiving other sources of funding or earning academic credit for their summer research.
- Seniors may not apply for funding projects that take place the summer following graduation.
- Past recipients of this scholarship are eligible to apply a second time. However, priority is given to first time recipients.
Award amounts vary based on availability of funding and project time commitment, but the maximum award is $3,500.
Applications must include the following:
- An overview (2-3 pages) of the proposed research project, including: a) project title; b) background information; c) research questions; d) overview of methodology/approach; e) timeline for completing the project, including estimated hours applicant will commit to the project over the summer; and
f) description of research products (such as poster, draft of article, screenplay) to be completed by end of summer.
- A cover letter describing the applicant’s motivation, prior research experiences, and qualifications for carrying out the proposed project.
- A statement of support from a faculty mentor that includes an endorsement of the proposed research project and estimated hours the applicant will commit to the project over the summer. This letter can be included with application materials or emailed directly to email@example.com.
Applicants will be evaluated on a) the quality, feasibility, and significance of their proposed projects and b) their preparedness to carry them out, as demonstrated in the cover letter and faculty support.
- Compile all required materials into a single pdf document.
- When ready to submit, visit the ASRS Application site.
Application deadline: The application deadline has been extended to noon (12pm EST) on Tuesday, March 16, 2021. Applicants will be notified of the outcome in early April.
All Advanced Summer Research Scholarship recipients are expected to present their work in the Summer Showcase of Student Research in late July.