IU Undergraduate Research provides Advanced Summer Research Scholarships to help undergraduate researchers spend their summers undertaking original research or creative projects. Full-time IU students majoring in any field are eligible. All applicants must have a well developed research plan and a faculty mentor who has agreed to supervise the project. Seniors may not apply for funding projects that take place the summer following graduation.
Award amounts vary based on availability of funding and project time commitment, but the maximum award is $3,500.
Applications must include the following:
- An overview (2-3pp) of the proposed research project, including: a) project title; b) background information; c) research questions; d) overview of methodology/approach; e) timeline for completing the project, including projected hours applicant will commit to the project over the summer; and
f) description of research products (such as poster, draft of article, screenplay) to be completed by end of summer.
- A cover letter describing the applicant’s motivation, prior research experiences, and qualifications for carrying out the proposed project.
- A statement of support from a faculty mentor. This statement should also include an endorsement of the projected hours the applicant will commit to the project over the course of the summer.
Applicants will be evaluated on a) the quality, feasibility, and significance of their proposed projects and b) their preparedness to carry them out, as demonstrated in the cover letter and faculty support.
- Compile all required materials into a single pdf document.
- Submit via email to: email@example.com.
Application deadline: March 13, 2020. Applicants will be notified in early April.
All Advanced Summer Research Scholarship recipients are expected to present their work in the Summer Showcase of Student Research in late July.